9.03.2008

first time for everything


I am not into the political scene AT ALL....the only time politics take part in my life is when visiting with my dad and my dad in-law. With dad it's just me saying something non-republican and getting him all riled up. I never really know what I am talking about, I just say something I have read or heard on TV, it doesn't take much to get him fired up about his party. With my father in-law it's me listening about all the destruction the present administration has caused and trying to tune out George Stephanopoulos on the TV. I have never voted, ever. I am not flaunting that, but I have never felt knowledgable enough to vote for one or the other. When I vote, I like to know what I am voting for and have reasons why...well, tonight my friends, I think I finally found a reason to vote!
I happend to catch some of Sarah Palin's speech tonight and I gotta say, John McCain knew exactly what he was doing by picking her as a running mate. She was excellent! She delivered her speech beautifully. I did not agree with everything she said(mostly cause I don't really know how true it was), but she was likeable, fun, intelligent, determined, passionate and she gave a shout out to families with special needs children! I think this will be the first year I exercise my right to vote, not necessarily for John McCain cause let's face it, he is so creepy, but for Sarah Palin. When the speech was over her family came on stage and I said to Jason 'how much more all american can you get? she's got a pregnant teenager and a special needs son?' That was a joke, but I truly was impressed by her and she had a handsome family.
I know people think it is ignorant and irresponsible not to involve yourself in the political dealings of our country, but who do you believe?!? What is true and what is not? My Dad tells me one thing and the next Sunday my father in-law tells me the exact opposite. I just have to put my trust in people that have a more political edge than myself and hope it works out for the best!

2 comments:

angela said...

that was a great post amy...rich was all 'fired up' about teh speech last night (i didn't catch it because i was doing laundry and dishes and trying to put kids to bed and bathing max)yeah i am ready for this to be over, can you tell?
my only concern with her is that she IS a mom with SMALL children and i think that this is a huge responsibility for a mom...but she sounds like she will be great so whatever!!

Anonymous said...

Amy,

I am so proud of you! You are completely right about Sarah Palin. I watched it the other night as Angela mentioned, and I have to admit that I was a little nervous about this pick by John McCain at first. I wasn't sure how good of a candidate she would actually be, but after the other night, WOW I was impressed. She rocked!! I know I am kind of a nerd when it comes to politics, but I come from a very conservative, and very politically involved family (mom and grandparents especially) who have always encouraged us to get involved. Anyhow, I told Angela that I would totally campaign for these guys after listening to her, because she represents most average Americans. She is great, and I seriously hope that she will consider running for president when McCain decides to retire.

Rich