6.14.2008

CACHE VALLEY BIATHLON


Jason ran cross country through most of highschool. Since that time he has played basketball off and on, ran a handful of 5k's and started mountain biking as of last year. Two weeks ago he decides he wants to participate in a biathlon consisting of a 5 mile run and a 16.5 mile bike ride. Having a partner is optional but Jason wants to go for it, "if I 'm gonna do it I might as well do it" he says. So you would think that in that two week time frame you would want to do a little training. Not Jason. Didn't run or ride his bike once(except to take Owen around the neighborhood).
Today was race day in Wellsville and I've gotta say, I am really proud of him for doing it. The 5 mile run was first. He finished that at 43 mins and 10 secs.(an excellent run)! He looked beat after the run. Jas is not much of a sweater, but he had a wet chest and his face was real red with white splotches on it. There was no nipple chaffing though, phew!(that is not something that normally happens to him or anything, I just teased him about it. I didn't even know that really happened to guys until Andy on The Office gauzed and bandaged up on the Fun Run episode). He said he felt like puking. He got on his bike at 44 mins and 40 secs and was off for his 16.5 mile ride. He was like one of four people on a mountain bike. This is definitley a disadvantage, but he has no road bike, so whatever. Melanie and Jake came to the finish line and waited with Owen and me(thanks for the support guys). We mistaked Jason for a lot of people(women mostly, sorry Jas) only because we were looking for an orange shirt and the pink looked orange from far back. Jake thought it was pretty funny when I was sure he was coming and it ended up being a woman. He rode in at 1 hour 54 mins and 30 secs. He did so great and I really am so proud of him and his determination to do something like this. You rock Jas!!!

Way to go #33!!! He had bad helmet hair.


2 comments:

Melissa said...

Raise the roof for Jas!!! Whoo Whoo Whoo Whoo!!! Sorry we couldn't come support you, next year. We like the helmet hair!

angela said...

Wow, Jas that's great!! I knew you could do it...that is a great time on the 5 mile run...are you in for the Speedy Spaniard now??? You would totally waste me. Wish I could have been there!!!